EventDV.net

OnlineVideo.net
Streaming Media
EMediaLive Archive

PRIVACY/COOKIES

Copyright © 2004 -
Information Today, Inc.

Comments Posted On :The Moving Picture: Vista--R.I.P.

Comments

Posted By Andy on 9/24/2008 12:50:44 AM
I completely disagree with this, especially the guy who went after Word 2007. I've been using both Vista and Word 2007 for a while now in a heavy duty professional editing environment, and I love both of them. The new Office in particular is the best upgrade I’ve seen in 20 years, and I’ve been using it that long too. The new interface is slick, it's been very stable with the right upgrades (you had to upgrade a lot of software when the Mac went to OSX too, if you might recall), and I have gained productivity with the new Office. Not everybody is on the rather smug "diss Vista" bandwagon. I read one incredible article about it a while back from a web author who for years had been complaining that Microsoft wouldn't upgrade this, wouldn't change this, make this more modern. So they did. Now he complains that they changed everything and didn't "value his experience" with the old Windows. Give me a break. Make up your mind. I still haven’t been able to get anybody who has actually used Vista to tell me what they really don’t like about it, other than that it is different.

Posted By Bennett Wilson on 9/10/2008 9:29:27 PM
You are so right about Microsoft. They change things not to make it better, just to justify a new OS or version of software every two years. It has more to do with quarterly earnings reports than any desire to inovate. I am using Office 2000 and I will never use Office 2007, in fact, I just started to use Open Office. I suspect I will only use desktop OS's from MS from now on and I wish they would give you the option of using whatever GUI you choose. I have Vista basic on my laptop and I now know how all those people with Windows ME felt when they got it on their machine. Burned.

Posted By Irving 143 on 9/10/2008 3:40:47 PM
Let's bury that "old dog can't learn new tricks" garbage, shall we? Old dogs certainly can and do learn new tricks, the difference is that old dogs know old tricks and most have the capacity to make comparisons between the old and the new. And the first question that comes from making such comparisons is "Why change what works?" This is, and always has been, a valid question, and if the new trick doesn't offer a valid answer in some form, then the next query, "Then why change?" is equally valid. The fact that a trick is new doesn't validate its usefulness, practicality or necessity in any way, shape or form, and the fact that a trick is old doesn't by any means render it, or the "old dog" who uses it, moribund.

Posted By Chuck Smith on 9/9/2008 3:49:01 PM
I migrated from Mac to PC about 5 years ago due to price and system integration ( more clients using Windows, etc.) I left Mac primarily because I built my video biz around the Media 100 beginning with the whole deal in Nubus and upgrading back in the PowerPC days. My market niche wasn't going to support more expensive Avid solutions and at the time, had few options to consider. It was only after Media 100 lost it's focus and started it's "Top-Down" attitude during CEO Molineri's tenure in upgrades and development, claiming to make every desktop a "TV Station" and capitalizing on the internet / webtv promises that weren't going to happen for another 5 years. Simply put: Media 100 back in the late 1990's & early 2000's were clamoring for buzz, hoping to cash in / out with web dreams that fizzled. When I jumped ship to PC (for the most part) I found the change to be okay yet a bit clunky as far as workflow was concerned. As I write this, I've been holding off "upgrading" to Vista as the XP Pro has been doing fine and I've gotten used to it. The Vista mess has had me looking back at the Mac as I really don't need the headaches either financially with having to replace legacy software/hardware and/or deal with having to re-learn workflows that were okay to begin with. The "take it or leave it" feeling that Microsoft seems to project with Vista has me troubled and I really can't put up with being a market-conditioned Guinea pig. Hello Microsoft....anybody in there listening?

Posted By Jeff Cerar on 9/8/2008 7:19:16 PM
For someone that says they don't want to bash Vista you did a pretty good job. Get a computer that meets the system requirements for your version of Vista and you'll have a good time. If not, then don't blame Vista. It's called User Error. You should switch to Mac...as we all know Macs are problem free. Yeah, sure they are. Just Google "OS X problems"...32 million results vs "Windows XP problems"...less than 3 million results. Not bad considering how many more Windows users there are out there than OS X. Have fun.

Posted By Nicholas de Kock on 9/8/2008 2:39:56 PM
I like you have used all the operating systems since DOS. All I can do is laugh at you while reading this, you're like old dogs unable to learn new tricks, set in your ways moaning like a bunch of old people. I for one embrace change, Internet Explorer is not the only browser out there, explore other options if it doesn't scare you too much. The new bar in Word 2007 is a radical change that has simplified the way I work. Vista runs much faster than XP on my system and I would not go back to XP even if I was paid. As for booting? My system boots up in 2 seconds from sleep ready to work where I left off, who switches off there machine with the improved sleep modes? Add and Remove? Now you really are bitching like a dog. How difficult can it be to use your brain? Programs and Features, Duh! Reading your rant I have lost how many seconds of my life not to mention everyone else's time you have wasted. Stop sounding like spoiled rich kids and move on, this Vista bashing really is getting old, it's like it's a culture users will never stop complaining, if Vista was not released they would complain about XP and Vista not being released, it's just pathetic.

Posted By Steve Blake on 9/8/2008 2:38:01 PM
"This is change for change’s sake, not improvement, which is endemic in Vista." I couldn't agree more! (Hmmm... it's not just Microsoft that that seeks to promote the politics of "change we can live with...") Bloatware with radically changed UI's that are devoid of common sense have been flowing freely from Redmond for quite some time now, that's not new, but the "take it or leave it" attitude I can (and will) do without. That doesn't just extend to MS, but to all you video app software vendors who insist on messing with a proven workflow by making unnecessary UI changes, hiding oft used contols in obtuse menus, and generally mucking things up in already proven working software,while ignoring knowen bugs and issues.

Posted By Ron Maxwell on 9/8/2008 12:19:08 PM
Thank you Jan for expressing my thoughts as well! Windows Vista is a loser for all the reasons you talked about and more. I have never felt so trapped and the only OS upgrade escape is to a MAC. Ron Maxwell Florida

Posted By Jeff Griffith on 9/8/2008 8:45:59 AM
The biggest changes that Microsoft made with Vista are: 1): They merged (or blurred) the line between what's stored on my machine and what is stored elsewhere. 2): As a consquence of #1, they instituted mainframe like security systems where every operation requires the proper security token. This second item isn't entirely new; Microsoft has been forced to tighten security to protect us from viruses. But, like all protection schemes, each new layer restricts our use of the machine, and, in Vista, they wnet too far: they broke printing. That's right, they broke printing. Printing is the reason Windows 1.0 was a success. I worked for VisiCorp when they introduced VisiOn, about a year ahead of Windows 1.0. It tried to handle prinitng, but Micorsoft spun FUD and promised that prinitng in DOS would be the same and that they would improve printing so that every applicatiomn could print from Windows. Users just had to wait a while longer. The first complaints I heard about Vista was that printers no longer worked. My son had to teach the LAN Admins at the college he attends to install the printer drivers using the "run as administrator" option, something forbidden in previous versions of Windows because it allowed viruses to take over our systems. But the biggest problem for me is #1: merging my machine's local storage with the Internet. I have local storage for a reason; it's safe from the outside world. The Internet is a great repository, but I'm not putting my entire dataset on the network. If it's on my machine, I can control it simply by unplugging that machine. And I need to map storage locations to physiocal devices. But Microsoft, under the guise of protecting us (try installing to the c: drive), has forced user accounts on us and hidden drive letters all in preparation for moving us back to the mainframe where we will be cared for in whatever way the mainframe chooses. Remeber those days: they are the reason the PC was successful; because it allowed us to escape the mainframe and take control of our computing lives.

Posted By Christian on 9/8/2008 7:10:13 AM
Not trying to sound like a Vista fan boy, but what I've come to discover is that running Vista on new hardware (machines or components developed in the last year or so) yields much faster results than any XP machine I have. Of course, upgrading older hardware to Vista yields the sort of horrible results you described. With many current 3rd parties developing for Vista either primarily or exclusively now, the pendulum has swung, and I'm finding faster render times, access times and other measurable differences in speed and readiness under Vista (32 bit, Home Premium, Adobe Production Premium CS3). Additionally, the current whispers indicate that the next version of Adobe's product suites - CS4 - will be 64-bit capable, but only on Vista (and therefore, PCs and not Macs at this point). So there's a compelling argument in favor of Vista in the coming months. Opinions being what they are, I also found myself objecting to the "improved" interface of Office 2007, but after about a week, I am now able to accomplish quick edits (font, style, etc) and access important functions all more quickly than before. The learning curve is present, but I would argue it isn't quite so pronounced as many would have us believe it to be. I find myself either in the position of devil's advocate or actual satisfied customer quite often on Vista discussions. I just have not had any single issue - and bear in mind, I am on a mobile computer with only 2 GB of RAM and running beefy apps like Photoshop CS3 and After Effects CS3. I heard about crashes, memory issues, driver support and other problems, and thus approached Vista with great caution. However, having been to the dark side now for a while, I find it kind of cozy over here in Vistaland, and certainly quite productive. Final comments...Windows 7, though widely discussed as being available as soon as next year, is more likely to show its face in 2010 around Q2. Also, the better time to consider adoption will likely be after 1 year and/or 1 service pack update, so that puts us closer to 2011. That gives Microsoft quite a window (no pun intended) of opportunity to keep pushing Vista. Lastly, having grown up using 3.1, 95, 98, 2000 and XP (although quite young in those earlier incarnations, and by no means critically judging those OS versions at that age), I have always enjoyed the successive improvements and found whatever features were left on the cutting room floor - such as the dual explorer window you mentioned - were forgivable to a degree in order to accomplish certain new capabilities.

Return To Article