First announced at NAB 2008, the ultra-portable FS-5 introduces the groundbreaking ability to wirelessly log custom metadata in the field while shooting - enabling a new real-time metadata-based workflow for broadcast and video professionals and ensuring the seamless continuity of metadata through all phases of production and post-production for easier identification and management of media.
With a wireless (or wired) mobile device or laptop, users can access the FS-5 via a web browser, define metadata, and assign it to the video while recording. As a result, clips are labeled, categorized, and organized as soon as the shoot is over - eliminating the need to tag footage at a later time. Additionally, Focus Enhancements' Universal Metadata Engine(tm) (UME) ensures that metadata is compatible with Final Cut Pro and the ProxSys(tm) Media Asset Management product line.
"Since its launch at NAB, the FS-5 and our new metadata-based workflow have generated tremendous interest among video and media professionals," said Matt McEwen, Director of Product Alliances for Focus Enhancements. "Our Direct To Edit technology helped spark the tapeless revolution in broadcast and other video production markets. And now, the ability to wirelessly log metadata brings a new level of efficiency to the tapeless end-to-end workflow."
"We've relied on Focus Enhancements' DTE recorders for many years and have been eagerly anticipating the new advancements introduced in the FS-5," said Brian Critchlow, partner and CTO of Digital Media Factory. "During our beta deployments, we've been impressed by the ease of use of the FS-5's wireless metadata functionality. This key innovation will save us significant time and improve the way we manage our media assets in post-production. In addition, the FS-5's Universal Disk Format (UDF) file format support further increases our productivity when dealing with multiple clips in Final Cut."
Along with its unprecedented metadata capabilities, the FS-5 features the following key enhancements:
The FS-5 100 GB model is priced at $2,195 MSRP US and is immediately available through Focus Enhancements' worldwide dealer and distributor network. FS-5 customers will receive a free camera mount with their order. For more information, visit www.focusinfo.com.
- Increased Direct To Edit file format support with the addition of MXF HDV 720p30 and 1080i 50/60 to give Avid editors the ability to work natively with HDV files using the Avid Media Tool
- 25% weight reduction and a 60% reduction in size when compared to the entry level FS-4 model
- 1.8" internal disk drive which features a very rugged, ultra-portable, and shock resistant design
- Fanless design for very quiet operations
- Support for UDF to enable recording up to 1.5 hours in a single DV/HDV file
- Newly designed user interface with new scroll wheel and color LCD
- USB 2.0 computer interface to provide flexible file transfers to the computer