The new Toshiba RD-XS54 features an Ethernet port for system networking allowing for greater integration with a PC including the ability to:
- Dub copy free content from one RD-XS54 to another if both are connected to the same network
- Stream recorded content or even live programming to a PC
- Upload custom Menu backgrounds for creating DVD-R/RW discs
- Edit and add title information to recorded content from a PC
- Remotely schedule recordings via email
- Receive automatic software upgrades
- Use a PC scroll mouse to control the recorder for detailed video editing T
The system networking of the RD-XS54 also gives users the ability to dub copy free content to another room if there are two of the units in the home. Now consumers can record content in one room and watch it in another. Additional features include High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) with up-conversion capability to 720p or 1080i. This upconversion will be performed for all sources whether they are playing back content encoded on a DVD or the HDD, including the tuner and inputs. In addition, the DV input allows the transfer of camcorder recordings directly onto DVD media.
The RD-XS54 also features Toshiba's exclusive EASY NAVI menu, designed to simplify operations by offering direct access to key functions. Also included is the TV Guide On Screen Interactive Program Guide for simple, user-friendly channel navigation and recording scheduling. The RD-XS34 Multi Drive (DVD-RAM, DVD-R and DVD-RW) DVD Recorder features a 160GB hard disc. To help consumers with their digital recordings, the RD-XS34 features TV Guide On Screen Interactive Program Guide and the EASY NAVI menu. The recorder also offers high-speed dubbing and comes with a DV input for the transfer of camcorder recordings in the digital form.
The RD-XS54 is scheduled to ship in August with an MSRP of $699.99.