MOTU Announces V3HD First Ever All-In-One FireWire HD/SD Video Interface for Mac and PC
MOTU, Inc. has unveiled the V3HD, a two rack-space FireWire video interface and converter that turns a Mac or PC desktop or laptop computer into a powerful HD/SD video production workstation capable of capturing and playing back compressed HD and uncompressed SD in a wide variety of formats, including HD-SDI, SD-SDI, HD component, HDMI (or DVI) and both NTSC and PAL in all standard analog I/O formats.
A breadth of HD formats, including 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080PsF, can be captured and played back over a single FireWire A or B connection via real-time hardware-based compression to and from the industry standard DVCPro HD codec, which provides pristine 4:2:2 broadcast quality HD images. Users can connect a variety of HD and SD sources and destinations, choose any HD or SD input source via software or the front-panel LCD, and then convert to all HD and SD output formats in real-time with hardware-based SD-to-HD up-convert, HD-to-SD down-convert and pull-down insertion or removal.
Four banks of 8-channel audio I/O (analog, AES/EBU, optical and embedded) feed into a 32-channel 16-bus monitor mixer for a total of 32 channels of zero-latency audio input, output and mixing. Extensive synchronization and machine control features, including a large front-panel time code LED display, keep the entire system accurately synchronized.
The V3HD supports Apple Final Cut Pro 5.1 or higher on the Mac and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows, and it includes cross-platform control software for all video and audio features. The V3HD can also function as a stand-alone converter when a computer is not connected.
"The V3HD is perfect for any Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro user who wants easy, plug-and-play connectivity and comprehensive, all-in-one capture and playback for HD, SD and mixed workflows," said Jim Cooper, MOTU Director of Marketing. "The V3HD supports all the HD and SD formats most users will ever need, with image quality that we believe sets a new standard for desktop video production. That's why the V3HD supports 10-bit uncompressed SD via 12-bit converters. And it's also why we chose DVCPro HD as the codec for moving HD over FireWire. It's 4:2:2 with a robust 100 Mbit/sec constant bit rate data stream, and it's the most widely respected and adopted intra-frame HD codec currently available. Best of all, users can work natively in broadcast-quality HD, even on a laptop, without the costly overhead required for uncompressed."
Connect. Convert. Capture. Monitor. Deliver.
The V3HD provides a plethora of video input and output options. Users can connect all their gear, from SD camcorders and CRT monitors to today’s latest professional HD cameras, video decks, LCD reference monitors and plasmas -- all at the same time, with no cable swapping. Then, they simply choose an input source and log and capture HD and SD clips directly into Final Cut or Premiere, converted on the fly and ready for fast, CPU-efficient editing in pristine native DVCPro HD quality.
As users edit, they can watch their creation take shape in a variety of display formats simultaneously, from the pixel-for-pixel accuracy of a large plasma screen, to the color-corrected balance of an LCD reference monitor, to the real-world look of a consumer display. An unsurpassed 32 channels of audio allow users to capture, monitor, mix and master multichannel surround sound, up to 7.1, for their productions at sample rates up to 192kHz. Time code, machine control, video reference and word clock synchronization features keep everything frame-accurate.
From start to finish, the V3HD streamlines a user's video production workflow, with unified control over all their video gear from their computer desktop.
V3HD Feature Highlights
The V3HD delivers a robust feature set and introduces many firsts for an all-in-one HD/SD video interface:
- Plug-and-play connectivity via FireWire -- provides HD and SD capture and playback for any current-generation FireWire equipped computer, including Mac & PC laptops. Users can connect via FireWire A or B, either of which supports all V3HD video formats. FireWire B provides twice the bus bandwidth (800 Mbits/sec), which allows for more channels of audio I/O at high samples, and/or the ability to daisy-chain a second FireWire B device (such as a hard drive).
- Supports Apple Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Captures and plays back 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080PsF HD over FireWire via industry standard DVCPro HD capture format for direct, native import into -- and playback from -- Final Cut and Premiere.
- Across-the-board compatibility and pristine quality -- DVCPro HD capture format provides 100 Mb/sec 4:2:2 quality and CPU-efficient, intra-frame (non-GOP) native editing.
- Captures and plays back compressed or uncompressed 10-bit SD in NTSC or PAL format via SD-SDI and all standard analog SD formats (component, composite and S-video) via 12-bit A/D and D/A converters.
- HDMI output -- allows users to connect an HD plasma, LCD, DLP or flatscreen for flexible and affordable HD monitoring, including pixel for pixel display at 1080 with a supporting monitor. Supports DVI output with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter or cable (sold separately).
- Broadcast quality hardware-based real time SD-to-HD up-convert -- users can capture SD while working in HD, or monitor HD when working in SD.
- Broadcast quality hardware-based real time HD-to-SD down-convert -- users can capture HD while working in SD, or monitor SD when working in HD.
- Real-time hardware-based 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pull-down insertion and removal.
- Comprehensive zoom modes for up/down conversion -- anamorphic, pillar box, letterbox, 14:9 pillarbox, 14:9 letterbox and full screen.
- Simultaneous HD/SD operation -- users can connect multiple HD and SD sources and destinations simultaneously, and then switch HD/SD sources on the fly while converting to multiple HD/SD destinations.
- Two rack space form factor with dedicated connectors -- users can connect all gear to dedicated connectors, without cable swapping or gangly, inconvenient breakout cables. Rack-mount brackets are removable for convenient desktop operation.
- Stand-alone operation -- when a computer is not connected, the V3HD can convert selected input source to supported output formats with SD-to-HD up-convert, HD-to-SD down-convert and pull-down insertion/removal. Front panel LCD provides access to most settings.
- Comprehensive synchronization and machine control features -- includes video reference, time code, RS422 machine control and audio word clock.
- 1 x HD-SDI in and out (4:2:2 10-bit) on independent BNC connectors
- 1 x SD-SDI in and out (4:2:2 10-bit) on independent BNC connectors
- 1 x extra HD-SDI output connector
- 1 x extra SD-SDI output connector
- 1 x HDMI output (4:2:2 10-bit, YCbCr or RGB)
- Support for DVI output with HDMI-to-DVI adapter (sold separately)
- 1 x HD component in and out (10-bit, YPbPr or RGB) on independent BNCs
- 1 x SD component in and out (10-bit, YPbPr or RGB) on independent BNCs
- 1 x composite in and out (10-bit)
- 1 x S-video in and out (10-bit)
- 12-bit A/D and D/A converters on all analog video in/out with up to 8x oversampling
- 1 x 400 Mbit (1394) FireWire A
- 2 x 800 Mbit (1394b) FireWire B
- 32 channels of simultaneous audio input and output
- 8 channels of analog in/out at all standard sample rates from 44.1 to 192kHz
- 4 x XLR analog in/out -- provides 4-channel direct connection without a breakout cable
- 8 channels of AES/EBU digital in/out at sample rates up to 96kHz
- 2 x AES/EBU connectors -- provides 4-channel direct connection without a breakout cable
- 8-channel HD-SDI and SD-SDI embedded audio in/out, 24-bit at 44.1 or 48kHz
- 8-channel HDMI embedded audio output, 24-bit at 44.1 or 48kHz
- 8-channel ADAT optical digital audio in/out -- includes a second bank of optical connectors for 8-channel operation at sample rates up to 96kHz.
- Front panel headphone jack with dedicated volume control
- Programmable front panel volume control for up to 32 audio outputs -- users can push the headphone volume knob and then turn it to control output level for any/all outputs, from stereo main outs to 7.1 surround to all 32 outs. The LCD provides visual feedback for the digital rotary encoder as the user turns it.
- CueMix DSP™ built-in monitor mixer -- 32-channel, 16-bus mixer for monitoring live inputs from cameras, mic preamps or other audio sources with no delay. Users can set up send/return loops to digital mixers and outboard audio processing.
- Multiple CueMix DSP mixes -- lets users create up to 16 separate stereo monitor mixes (8 stereo at 176.4 or 192kHz) for main outs, headphones, outboard gear send/return loops, etc.
- Audio delay compensation -- both fully automated and programmable controls ensure that audio always remains perfectly in sync with picture.
- Audio only mode -- operates as a 32 channel cross-platform audio interface.
- Stand-alone operation -- users can mix and monitor audio with no computer connected.
Sync and device control
- Video reference in and thru -- resolves to blackburst, composite or HD Tri-level sync.
- Time code in and out -- generates and resolves to time code (LTC or embedded).
- RS-422 machine control -- controls the transports of a connected camera or video deck using Final Cut Pro or other machine control host via standard 9-pin protocol.
- Word clock in, out and thru -- continuously resolves to audio word clock from a digital mixer, distribution box or other source at sample rates from 44.1 to 192K.
- Field upgradable firmware via USB -- allows users to download new functionality from their computer.
- International auto-switching internal power supply
Front panel programming and monitoring
- Front-panel 2 x 16 backlit LCD -- provides access to most settings directly from the front panel.
- 8 dedicated 10-segment ladder LEDs with clip indicators for all 8 analog audio ins
- 8 programmable 10-segment ladder LEDs with clip indicators for displaying any 8-channel bank (analog, AES/EBU, optical or embedded) in or out
- Video status LEDs -- provide quick access to capture/playback settings for each video format.
- Time code display -- provides frame-accurate time code readout when converting or generating time code, or during playback from host software.
Included software and compatibility
- Includes MOTU Video Console software -- graphically displays HD and SD signal path and provides complete control of all programmable features and settings.
- Includes MOTU CueMix Console software -- provides on-screen mixing of all 32 audio channels of analog and digital input and output via graphic mixer with 32 faders.
- Cross-platform operation (Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista)
- Supports Final Cut Pro 5.1 or higher and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows.
The V3HD is expected to ship during Q3 2007. The price has not yet been announced.