RE:Flex combines hand feature-matching with automatic image registration. After aligning the hand matched shapes, RE:Flex 3 now uses the new tracking found in RE:Vision's Twixtor 4.5 product to automatically align the non-handmatched parts of the image so that often less handwork is required.
New features in version 3 include the following:
- Auto-align feature uses the improved Twixtor 4.5 tracking which provides more precise results than with previous versions of RE:Flex.
- Floating point image support added for Shake version.
- New anti-aliasing setting that uses less memory (but does so at the expense of speed). In the new method antialising is performed by repeated offset renders, with buffer accumulation. The old method is still available to users. This new feature is particularly useful to those warping and morphing large resolution images.
- MipMapping. Now RE:Flex can be set to give better filtering results when parts of an image a squished by a factor of 2 or more.
- New render-only pricing available for After Effects 6.0 or later (and continues to be available for Shake).
Availability and pricing is as follows: After Effects 5.0 or later, Macintosh and Windows: RE:Flex 3 is priced at $595. Render-only nodes are avaiilable for users of After Effects 6.0 or later for $119 Upgrades from RE:Flex 1 or 2 for After Effects are priced at $89.95. Persons who have purchased RE:Flex, version 2, on or after June 1, 2005 qualify for a free upgrade to version 3. If they qualify, users can retrieve their free upgrade by writing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shake 3.01 or later, Macintosh and Linux: RE:Flex 3 is priced at $795. Render-only licenses are available for $198.75. Full license upgrades from version 2 are $119. Render-only license upgrades from version 2 are free.
Discreet Systems, Irix: RE:Flex 3 is priced at $995. Upgrades from RE:Flex version 2 for Discreet Systems are free. RE:Flex version 2 keys will work in the installer for RE:Flex version 3.
combustion 4 have already been using RE:Flex 3. However, with the latest release on the RE:Vision Effects Web site (version 3.0.2), they get the new tracking found in Twixtor 4.5. The upgrade to version RE:Flex 3.0.2 is free for combustion 4 users.