Avid also announced the availability of the Avid DS Assist Station, a software-only version of the Avid DS 8.0 toolset that customers can deploy on lower-cost workstations to tackle specialized tasks such as rotoscoping, compositing, and conform checks.
"The 4:4:4 HD-RGB log format is valuable for our work because it provides better color accuracy than 4:2:2 HD linear when moving from film negative to digital post production and back," said Matt Schneider, director of technology at PostWorks New York. "We do a significant amount of 2K digital intermediates, but with 4:4:4 HD-RGB support and expanded memory in version 8.0 of Avid DS Nitris, we have an attractive alternative to 2K that is a good fit for many projects. We can now input HD-RGB directly to Avid DS Nitris from our film scanner. PostWorks has always been a big fan of Avid DS Nitris and this release takes the system to the next level. By the end of the year, we plan to add three additional DI pipelines built around the expanded capabilities of Avid DS Nitris."
With real-time, multi-stream, 10-bit HD performance, a deep creative toolset, and expanded hardware, Avid DS Nitris 8.0 is the ultimate editing and finishing system for SD, HD and 2K/4K DI work. Highlights of the new system include the foloowing:
- Dual-link HD-SDI connectivity--offering new integrated I/O hardware that provides the necessary bandwidth for capturing and editing 4:4:4 HD-RGB formats, such as HDCAM SR.
- Dual-boot capability--expanding the flexibility of HD finishing options by allowing editors to run either Symphony or Avid DS software on the same system.
- Native 64-bit system and software support--leveraging the advantages of workstations that feature 64-bit processors for faster performance through access to greater physical memory, a critical component when working with high-bandwidth, high resolution files.
- Support for 720p50 sequences--providing European customers transitioning to HD with capture, conform, finishing, and mastering tools in the 720p50 standard.
- Support for Avid Unity ISIS--allowing the system to work with Avid's newest shared-storage system to exchange and share media assets with other connected systems.
The Avid DS Nitris 8.0 system is available now through Avid's worldwide reseller channel. Pricing for the Avid DS Nitris 8.0 system is $147,995 USMSRP as a turnkey system, which includes a CPU workstation, monitors, 2.5 TBs of RAID storage, and one license for Avid DS RP (remote processing software for offloading computationally intensive tasks). Existing Avid DS Nitris 7.6 customers with assurance contracts can upgrade to version 8.0 with dual-boot capability for $9,995 USMSRP, and can purchase the Avid dual-link HD-SDI card for $9,995 USMSRP. The Avid DS Assist Station is available for $9,995 USMSRP.
For more information, visit www.avid.com/dsnitris/.